This site is NOPIN - No pinning on Pinterest.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

What Makes a Review Worth Reading

Lots of people write reviews about products they're using, so how does a person decide which ones to read? I can't speak for everyone, but when I read a review I like to hear about the things people don't like and the things people like.

When I wrote my blog post about Lee filters and my dislike of the Lee holder, people got mad. I'm looking for someone who is not afraid to speak honestly about the product they use, rather than just telling everyone what the company wants to hear. Something that bothers them may not bother me, but it's nice to see the world as it is so that I'm not disappointed and pissed off later. When I read word vomit about how awesome a product is, it appears to me as if the author has been bought off by that company to write something positive about the item. Whether or not it's true, that author loses credibility in my book.

For example, I recently read a review about the Canon TS 24 ii lens that was basically a regurgitation of the specifications and information posted on the Canon site. I won't say who it was, but because of that I no longer read that person's blog or reviews, unfortunately. I read a lot of reviews and posts on Google Plus about how awesome the F Stop backpacks are. What do people not like about them? It's not honest to say that they are perfect in every way, and in all honesty I don't trust products that people don't talk openly about their flaws.

So what was the point in my writing this? Well.... the CANON 5D MARK III is now here, and dang it I want to read a REAL REVIEW about one soon seeing as how I'm not the type of person who tries out gear before I read what others have to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment